Ear, Nose and Throat
For specific Coronavirus (COVID-19) research and guidance visit the Coronavirus information hub.
Our role is to support the delivery of high-quality clinical research in Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT) and manage participant recruitment to time and target, both for studies which are led from Scotland and studies led from other nations which Scottish sites are participating in. We aim to widen the participation of NHS Scotland Health Boards in ENT studies on the Central Portfolio Management System (CPMS), thereby increasing access for Scottish patients to ENT studies.
We provide support in the following areas:
- Managing the study portfolio record
- Monitoring the attainment of recruitment targets
- Providing advice on study design and feasibility
- Troubleshooting issues with poor recruitment
- Identifying potential sites for studies
- Facilitating access to resource to support research, for example through Clinical Research Facility (CRF) Research Nurses
- Facilitating research links and networking.
At the moment we support approximately 5 studies.
The ENT Specialty Group’s portfolio includes:
- Neurotology / Skull Based Surgery
- Head and Neck including Thyroid and Parathyroid surgery and Larynology
- Otitis Media
- Auditory Neuroscience
- Head and Neck Cancer
- Paediatric ENT.
There is overlap between the ENT Specialty group and many other Specialty Groups and NIHR Topic Specific Research Networks. In general, the ENT Specialty Group will take the lead on research studies which are led by ENT specialists.
Performance Manager: Jacqueline Pearson